Simon Horton - Partner
Phone: 02 9228 0888
Mobile: 0412 962 716
Restraint of trade
Simon commenced his legal career at Freehills, where he spent six years working in the litigation, employment and energy and resources practice groups. In 1993, Simon moved to a small commercial firm and then became a founding partner of Horton Rhodes in 1995.
With over twenty years experience, Simon brings a strategic approach to his matters and works with his clients to identify at an early stage what the commercial objectives of the client are, then focuses on working to achieve those objectives in the most effective way possible.
Simon often receives referrals from larger law firms in circumstances where they may have a conflict which prevents them from accepting instructions, or where the matter does not necessarily warrant the client retaining the services of one of the large firms. These referrals are received due to the excellent service that Simon has provided to these other firms' clients and the trust that those firms have in his work.
Some recent matters that Simon has worked or advised on include:
- Acting for a party in a large and complex dispute relating to payment of royalties from significant iron ore operations in Western Australia
- Acting for an international investment bank in relation to restraint of trade issues associated with hiring of senior staff from a competitor
- Acting for the trustee of a family trust that controlled a very significant trading company in proceedings concerning alleged breach of a shareholders' agreement and breach of trust
- Acting for an equipment leasing company in Federal Court representative proceedings alleging breach of contract and misleading conduct
- Acting for senior executives of major listed companies upon termination of employment, including negotiating terms of settlement agreements