Stephen Watt - Partner
Phone: 02 9228 0888
Mobile: 0411 882 870
Bachelor of Arts - Hamilton College (New York)
Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) - University of Sydney
Master of Laws - University of Sydney
Stephen began his legal career as research assistant to Justice Einstein in the Supreme Court of New South Wales. He then spent four years working as a solicitor at Freehills, commencing practice in the corporate group before moving to specialise in commercial litigation. During this time, Stephen was involved in advising on significant commercial disputes which included, in particular, acting in complex, multi-party insurance litigation.
Stephen joined Horton Rhodes Lawyers in March 2007. Since that time, Stephen has developed a wide-ranging practice, with extensive experience in the Local, District and Supreme Courts of New South Wales, the Federal Court of Australia and the High Court of Australia.
Stephen believes a well prepared case is the key to a positive outcome and he approaches each matter with a comprehensive understanding of the law and attention to detail, while remaining focussed on overall strategic objectives.
Some recent matters that Stephen has worked on include:
- Acting for an employer in proceedings against a former employee for breach of fiduciary duties and enforcement of a restraint of trade.
- Acting for a property developer in relation to three separate sets of proceedings concerning termination of contracts for sale in a residential development.
- Acting for a purchaser in proceedings concerning the zoning of residential units and claims of professional negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct.
- Acting for a multi-national air conditioning manufacturer in a dispute concerning the terms of a distributorship agreement.
- Acting for a machine manufacturer in a dispute concerning the sale and performance of a woodworking machine.
- Acting for a mortgage lender in possession proceedings involving claims of unconscionable conduct.