- Bachelor of Laws – Victoria University of Wellington
- Commercial litigation
- Commercial transactions
- Trade practices
- D & O insurance
After being admitted to practice in 1986, Neil commenced his legal career at Phillips Fox in New Zealand. In 1993, he was headhunted to the corporate world and became an Executive Director of PDL Holdings Ltd, a public company in New Zealand. In May 2000, Neil moved to Sydney in the role as General Counsel – Australia and New Zealand for Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Australia Pty Limited.
Neil joined Horton Rhodes Lawyers in 2003. Since that time, he has built on his large firm and in-house experience to develop a practice that specialises in both commercial litigation and corporate/commercial transactions, with Neil’s ability to move between the two areas being one of his recognised strengths.
Neil takes pride in providing commercial, concise advice to clients and being responsive to client demands. He has particular expertise in executive employment disputes (including restraint of trade injunctions), D & O insurance and shareholder agreements.
Some recent matters that Neil has worked on include:
- Acting for Mr Andrew Poole in his proceedings for recovery of legal fees under D & O insurance policy
- Acting for the Hon. Anthony Kelly in ICAC
- Acting for BGC international brokers in relation to hiring a team that had resigned en masse from a competitor
- Acting for Charterhouse, a global executive recruitment company, in injunction proceedings to restrain an employee from joining a competitor
- Acting for an executive employee in proceedings resisting a restraint of trade and imposition of garden leave